Wix is an industry leader in website design with over 50 million monthly users. Both beginners and experts favor Wix’s intuitive layout and custom designs. Shopify dominates the online web store market, however, smaller businesses can feel overwhelmed by its overhead. Enter Wix: a drag-and-drop website builder with competitive pricing and beautiful designs.
Wix Design Features
Wix Artificial Design Intelligence
Wix created the first artificial intelligence in web design: Wix ADI. ADI learns about your website and design needs and designs a unique website for you. Wix provides design themes and e-commerce categories to simplify creating the perfect layout.
Wix Design Templates
In addition to an automated design by Wix ADI, you can change the template of your site to another theme or a complete customization. Wix has over 500 design templates for you to choose from.
The templates have customizable design themes like kids’ furniture and golf memorabilia. However, once you design your site in a theme, the customization will disappear if you switch to a new template. For example, if you designed your website in a non-e-commerce site, you cannot transfer your design to an online store template. However, you can add the Wix Stores plugin to any site.
The Wix Editor is a user-friendly, drag-and-drop interface. Unlike Shopify or Wordpress, you are able to place content anywhere on the webpage. Wix’s site builder is easy to use regardless of experience.
Compared to other drag-and-drop builders, Wix is still the winner. Weebly has limited customization and other platforms like Jimdo are more rigid.
Design experts may want to try out Wix Code. It’s an innovative, new Wix product that lets you build robust web applications with the beautiful visuals created in the Wix Editor. Wix Code has the following features:
- Database collections
- Data connection
- User input elements
- Dynamic pages
Wix Code has additional support to help users in site creation.
Wix E-commerce Features
Wix provides all the necessary e-commerce features in an easy-to-use package. Users customize product galleries, create seamless checkout processes, and easily manage online stores.
Wix Stores Plugin
The Wix Stores application is the backbone of your e-commerce store. The app has the following features:
- Sell an unlimited number real or digital products commission-free
- Accept multiple payment options (through 17 payment gateways)
- Promote your store through email marketing
- Ensure a secure SSL-certificate checkout
- Track sales
The Wix Stores app is user-friendly. You can enter in your product’s information and it is automatically added into the store. If any changes need to be made (like a product goes on sale), you can update the product information at any time in the Wix Stores app.
Wix Inventory Management Features
Wix offers the following inventory management features:
- Create product variants
- Create product collections
- Mark products with flags, like ‘bestseller’
- Automatically track how many of a specific product you have in stock
- Manually mark a specific product as either In stock or Out of stock
- Track inventory numbers per variant
Wix is missing the following inventory management features:
- Shopify will organize your products by type, category, season, sale, and more
- Shopify will assign barcodes to your products
- Shopify will forecast future sales figures for inventory production
Additionally, Wix Stores offers 17 different payment gateways:
- Fat Zebra
- Leumi Card
- PayU Turkey
- PayU India
- Manual Payments by currency
Industry leader Shopify offers an additional 50 options, which can be found on their website. If your customer base is largely international, you may benefit from the additional gateways. Wix’s other competitors offer even fewer options. Weebly offers 4 payment gateways and Squarespace offers 8 payment gateways.
Wix E-commerce Mobile app
Wix offers a mobile app for inventory management. It offers the following features:
- Chat with site visitors in real-time
- Manage your online store
- Add products to your online store
- Schedule appointments with clients
- Social network management
Wix SEO and Marketing Features
Wix uses Marketing Integrations to measure online campaigns, collect shopper information, and gain insights that can spark a marketing campaign. Marketing Integrations lets you use tools like the following:
- Google Analytics
- Facebook Pixel
- Google Tag Manager
- Google Ads
- Facebook Catalog
- Yandex Metrica
- Hello Bar
To use these features, you need to have the Premium site, which you’re likely to have any way to sell your products. The majority of these sites have a cost, so keep that in mind when budgeting your website.
Competitor Shopify offers over 100 SEO and marketing apps in their app store, however, both platforms offer the popular platforms most users would use.
Wix Security Features
Wix uses full SSL secure payments for all checkouts. This means your information will be protected with 256-bit SSL encryption. Wix also has PCI DSS Level 1 protection, which means they go through quarterly audits and assessments to ensure your optimal protection.
Wix Support Features
One benefit of signing up for an e-commerce site is receiving Wix’s premium support package. With this plan, you receive immediate solutions to problems via phone and chat support. If you don’t have the VIP plan, the Support Center answers hundreds of Wix questions.
Wix Ecommerce Pricing
Compared to its competitors, Wix has one of the more competitive prices on the market. Based on the first year pricing, a basic plan would be $44 less a month compared to Shopify. Here are some highlights each of the plans includes:
- Business Basic ($8.50/month): 20GB Storage, 5 Video Hours
- Business Unlimited ($12.50/month): 35GB Storage, 10 Video Hours, 20 Email Campaigns/month, 100,000 Emails/month
- Business VIP ($17.50/month): 50GB Storage, 30 Video Hours, 20 Email Campaigns/month, 100,000 Emails/month, Priority Response, VIP Support.
The plan that’s right for you depends 100% on your needs. If your site posts a lot of video content and sends a lot of email connections, splurging for the Business VIP might be necessary. However, if you’re just looking for the basics, Business Basic might work for you.
The Business VIP plan is most similar to the Shopify plan, which is $79/month. Here’s what you get with Shopify:
- Unlimited products in your store
- Unlimited file storage
- 24/7 user support
- Fraud analysis
- Discount codes
- Website and blog
- Abandoned cart recovery
- Free SSL certificate
- Gift cards
- Professional reports
The extra $44 will get you unlimited file storage, fraud analysis, abandoned cart recovery, and professional reports.
Wix stands tall next to competitors. While Shopify is the market leader, the costs may outweigh the features.
- Over $40 less a month compared to Shopify
- Beautiful, customizable designs
- Access to industry-standard marketing tools
- Inventory management on-the-go
- Secure web store protection
- Intuitive and easy to use website builder
- BigCommerce and Shopify offer over 60 payment processors, while Wix only offers 17
- Weebly’s mobile app lets you design your website from the app
- Wix does not offer abandoned cart recovery
- Wix does not offer a Point of Sale system for brick-and-mortar
The bottom line: Wix is a terrific option if you’re a growing business. While it doesn’t have all of the features of a sole online store builder, Wix will save you time and money that can be reinvested into your growing business.
— Rachel Auerbach reviewed Wix on August 9, 2018, Read 1 ecommerce features review.